No one has written a letter to Rachel yet. Does her story inspire you? If so, why don’t you write to her?
Who was Rachel Hamilton?
- Born in Ireland but moved to Glasgow at an early age.
- Worked as a labourer in Tod and McGregor’s shipyards and as a forewoman navvy in the Jordanhill Brickworks.
- Was 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighed around 17 stone.
- Had a reputation as a keeper of the peace and enforcer of order in the workplace.
- Was sworn in as a special constable during the Partick Riots of 1875.
Rachel can be found in Glasgow Women’s Library West End Women’s Heritage Walk
Photo source: The Glasgow Story website